This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GATEHOUSE AND ATTACHED KITCHEN COURTYARD WALLS AT ARBURY HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GATEHOUSE AND ATTACHED KITCHEN COURTYARD WALLS AT ARBURY HALL

List entry Number: 1035005

Location

GATEHOUSE AND ATTACHED KITCHEN COURTYARD WALLS AT ARBURY HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Nuneaton and Bedworth

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Feb-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 308546

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH ARBURY PARK SP38NW 4/8 Gatehouse and attached kitchen courtyard walls at Arbury Hall GV II

Gatehouse and attached walls. Gatehouse said to be dated 1754. Sandstone ashlar. Old plain-tile roof hidden by gable parapets. Gothic Revival style with 4-centred arched openings. Embattled square angle turrets have moulded string course with niche above, and cornice with fleur-de-lys decoration. Large moulded and chamfered gateway has ribbed double doors. Hood moulds throughout. Embattled moulded gable has shield of arms and cross finial. Stable yard elevation is simpler, with chamfered arch, plain gable and shield of arms. Interior is plaster vaulted. Kitchen courtyard walls are mainly early C19. Flemish bond brick with stone coping. Approximately 3 metres high. South screen wall is faced with sandstone ashlar. Gothic Revival style. 3 bays. Hollow-chamfered 4-centred arched openings. Third bay has doorway with sash door. Windows with Y-tracery. Jacobean openwork stone balustrade on top, re-used from elsewhere in the garden. (VCH: Warwickshire, Vol IV, p174)

Listing NGR: SP3349489253

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 174
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 42 Warwickshire,

National Grid Reference: SP 33495 89253

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035005 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 02:13:51.

End of official listing