CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1035126
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035126.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:51:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Warwick (District Authority)
Parish:
Wasperton
National Grid Reference:
SP 26572 58776

Details

WASPERTON Main Street

18/347 Church of St John The Baptist 11.4.67

GV II

Parish church. 1843 by Sir G G Scott, adapted from church of 1736. Red sandstone with plain tile roofs. The chancel, south aisle, bell-turret, and all the windows are by Scott. Early English/Decorated style. Comprising nave, chancel, south aisle,south vestry and north porch. Octagonal lead-clad timber bell-turret over west end with short spire. C19 timber-framed north porch containing early C16 glass. Decorated style traceried windows. Interior: Early English style three-bay south arcade. Crown-post nave and aisle roofs with crenellated tie-beams. Angel corbels in chancel. Screen by Scott dated 1845 in circa 1300 style. Pulpit of circa 1600. Communion rail of early C18 in wrought iron. East window by Hardman to designs of Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin.



Listing NGR: SP2657258776

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
308225
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/15153/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].