GUY'S CLIFFE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1035206
Date first listed:
20-Aug-1951
Statutory Address:
GUY'S CLIFFE HOUSE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035206.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Jul-2020 at 12:26:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
GUY'S CLIFFE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Warwick (District Authority)
Parish:
Leek Wootton and Guy's Cliffe
National Grid Reference:
SP 29286 66829

Details

GUY'S CLIFFE 10/372 Guy's Cliffe House

20.8.51

GV II

Circa 1751-57 house with substantial additions of 1813-24 and small addition of 1898. The later alterations and additions have obscured the exterior of the mid C18 house except south front which faces courtyard. This is of ashlar, of two storeys with semi-basement below, and of seven bays. Windows are in moulded architraves. Central porch has in front a large platform which leaves the rusticated basement clear. Between 1813-24 the north and west sides of the earlier house were much altered. North (river) front raised in height and two projecting bay windows became tower like features with ogee headed gables between them. West front given central turret flanked by ogee headed gables. After 1819 an arcaded verandah added to west front and west wing extended at both ends. Additions on east side included a kitchen wing in Gothic style which forms connecting link between house and chapel. In 1898 a four storeyed polygonal tower added on courtyard side of west wing. In 1952 the interior of the house was stripped and by 1966 the roof had fallen in. Now in an advanced state of decay apart from the Gothic kitchen wing which is used by the Masons as a dining room. The house has associations with Sarah Siddons, Ruskin and others. To the south of the house, a range of stables built into the rock face with arcaded ashlar front.



Listing NGR: SP2928666829

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
308034
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00349/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Hartland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].