This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE PRIORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE PRIORY

List entry Number: 1035503

Location

THE PRIORY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Warwick

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Warwick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 307357

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WARWICK

1. 1781 The Priory

SP 2865 SW 3/296 10.1.53.

II* GV

2. Remaining portions of the Old Priory. The greater part of this building was taken down in 1926 and removed to America for re-erection. Small single-storey building of C16 stonework. Entrance doorway has "Tudor" shaped arch, to LH side of which is large 6-light transomed and mullioned stone splayed bay window. Other windows are similar in design, the two to right hand side being modern replacements. To west of this is 2 storey block of C17 brickwork with dark headers, stone plinth, stone quoins, gables to east, south and west with stone copings and finials, Modern, or restored, brick chimney stacks. Modern casements. The two buildings have modern leaded lights and attractive roofs of old tiles. Portions of foundation walls to the main building (now removed) lie to the east. The Tudor mansion stood on the site of the medieval Priory of St Sepulchre, founded early C12. VCR, viii, pp.422, 438-40. The Priory, the Stable Wall and Ruined Wall to north east form a group

Listing NGR: SP2826365280

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1969), 422
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1969), 438-440

National Grid Reference: SP 28263 65280

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035503 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-May-2018 at 11:47:55.

End of official listing