CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035567 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 03:49:58.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 41346 58896
LADBROKE CHURCH ROAD
SP4158 (North side)
15/11 Church of All Saints
Church. C13 origins, mostly rebuilt early C14, with C15 additions. Restored 1876 by Sir Gilbert Scott. Limestone, lias and sandstone squared coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. C19- and C20-tile, and lead roofs. Chancel, aisled nave and west tower. C13, C14 and C15 chancel. 3 bays with moulded plinth, offset buttresses, chamfered eaves cornice and coped gable to east with cross at apex. Gable rebuilt, probably C19. C13 east window of 3 pointed lights with Y-tracery within chamfered surround with hood mould and carved-head labels. Two C13 windows to north, each of 2 pointed lights with unpierced spandrel. Three C15 three-light windows above, in C15 raised wall. To south a C14 doorway with ogee head within a stop-chamfered segmental-arched surround. C19 plank door. C19 restored 3-light window to left, with a C15 three-light window to right. In raised wall above 3 further C15 three-light windows. C14 aisled nave of 3 bays with chamfered plinth, offset buttresses, chamfered eaves cornice to aisles and clerestory and coped gable to east with cross at apex. North aisle has blocked pointed-arched doorway with chamfered surround to centre, flanked to left by a window of 3 ogee-headed cusped lights, and to right by a window of 2 ogee-headed lights to east wall, with a window of 3 cusped lights within segmental-arched surround to west wall. Windows of south aisle similarly disposed, with a window of 2 ogee-headed lights to left of porch and to east wall, and a window of 3 ogee-headed lights to right of porch. 3-light window with segmental-arched surround to west wall. Restored C15 gabled porch with chamfered plinth and offset buttresses. Pointed-arch entrance with double ovolo-moulded surround with a C15 corbel built in at apex. Incised sundial above is dated Ibis. Within porch are C14 carved-head corbels built in walls, including 2 crowned and bearded heads. Early C14 pointed-arch doorway with chamfered surround. C14 tower of banded lias and limestone with moulded plinth, offset buttresses with pinnacles, hollow-moulded eaves cornice and embattled parapet. C15 window to lower stage west of 2 lights with cusped tracery within moulded surround. Hood mould with carved head labels. Rectangular light to second stage south, with 2 loops. C14 third stage belfry windows each of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil-pierced spandrel. Interior: C13 chancel windows have deeply-splayed reveals and chamfered rere-arches. South doorway has plain ogee-headed surround. Restored C14 sedilia, each seat divided by moulded mullions. Cusped ogee heads with pinnacles and poppy-head finials. C14 Easter sepulchre to north has moulded pointed-arch surround and carved gable. Early C14 chancel arch, the polygonal responds with moulded capitals. Double-chamfered arch. Early C14 nave arcade of 3 bays. Octagonal piers with chamfered bases and moulded capitals, with responds to east and west. Double-chamfered arches. Aisle windows have splayed reveals. North and south doorways have round heads with chamfered rere-arches. C19 tomb recess in south wall with early C14 worn effigy of priest in vestments, found under chancel floor. Probably John de Pavely, rector of Ladbroke 1298-1303. Tower arch of 4 chamfered orders, the inner order continuing to ground. C19 restored low-pitched chancel roof, with scissor-braced nave roof. C19 tiled chancel and nave floors, and C19 pulpit and font. Alabaster memorial in north chancel wall to Elizabeth Skrymster, who died 5 November 1712. Oval tablet with carved floral surround surmounted by urn, and supported by cornice. Marble memorial in south chancel wall to William Palmer Esq., who died 20 April 1720, and his wife Elizabeth who died 20 August, 1729. Tablet has Ionic pilaster surround surmounted by cornice and broken segmental pediment with carved coat of arms. Memorial in south aisle wall to Charles Palmer Esq., who died 2 August 1806. Further memorial to Thomas Williams who died 11 November 1789. Various C19 wall memorials and brasses. Tower floor said to be paved with memorial slabs. C19 stained glass, including windows in north chancel wall by Kempe and Tower. V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, p.145-146; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.330-331).
Listing NGR: SP4134658897
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 145-6
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 330-1
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing