Church of St. Michael

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1035601
Date first listed:
30-May-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Michael, Church Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Michael
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035601.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:33:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Michael, Church Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Stockton
National Grid Reference:
SP 43766 63606

Details

SP4363 11/94 STOCKTON CHURCH STREET (East side) Church of St. Michael

30/05/67

GV II* Church. C14 chancel and C15 tower. Nave and aisles rebuilt, and chancel part-rebuilt C19. Squared coursed lias banded with some sandstone to chancel and nave, with sandstone ashlar tower. Plain-tile and lead roofs. Chancel, aisled nave and west tower.

Chancel of two bays with chamfered plinth, offset diagonal buttresses and coped gable to east with cross at apex. Restored C14 east window of three cusped lights with geometric tracery within double chamfered surround. Datestone of restoration above window: 1809. Pointed-arched doorway with C19 plank door to south with window of two cusped lights to right and C15 square-headed two-light window to left. C19 gabled vestry to north with early C14 style two-light window to east and square-headed window of two cusped lights to north.

Nave of four bays with chamfered plinth, offset buttresses and hollow-chamfered eaves cornice to aisles. Coped gable to east. North aisle has three and south aisle has four C14-style windows, each of two cusped lights with quatrefoil tracery and hood mould. Further two-light window to east aisle wall, with single cusped lights to east walls of both aisles. C19 sandstone gabled porch with round pointed arched doorway with moulded surround. Pointed-arched doorway with double hollow-chamfered doorway within C19 plank door. Stone benches to east and west. C19 clerestory with four cusped round lights to north and south.

Early C15 west tower of three stages with chamfered plinth, offset buttresses, chamfered storey bands and hollow moulded eaves cornice decorated with carved heads. Parapetted eaves cornice with heraldic arms carved on merlons and pinnacles to each corner. Restored window to west of two cusped lights with mouchette tracery. Hollow-moulded surround. Loop-lights to south wall. Bell chamber openings of two cusped lights with transom within four-centred heads.

Interior: chancel windows have C19 rere-arches. Vestry archway of two pointed orders, the inner order supported by polygonal moulded corbels. Decorative tile floors. C15 chancel arch of two chamfered orders with polygonal moulded capitals supporting the inner order. Nave aisle and clerestory windows have chamfered rere-arches. C19 nave arcade of four bays with hexagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals supporting double-chamfered arches. Decorative tile and stone flag floors. Small C14 piscina re-used in south aisle wall with ogee-headed surround and mouchette-tracery panel within. Tower arch of two chamfered orders to east and three to west. C19 hammer-beam chancel roof with C19 arch-braced collar-truss nave roof.

C19 pews and choir stalls and polygonal wood pulpit. C19 polygonal font on original moulded base. In south wall of chancel a marble wall-tablet with scrolled surround and broken pediment with carved arms. Dedicated to 'the pious memory of that vertuous and/religius Gentlewoman Mrs ELLEN/PILKINGTON (eldest daughter of/Mr. RICHARD OUINEY Citizen and/Grocer of London). Married to EDWARD PILKINGTON formerly of Stockton'. She died 1689, aged 71.

Listing NGR: SP4376663606

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
307225
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 227-8
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 404-5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/14867/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].