THE COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1035650
Date first listed:
15-Mar-1983
Statutory Address:
THE COTTAGE, STATION ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035650.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Aug-2020 at 20:32:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE COTTAGE, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Bishop's Itchington
National Grid Reference:
SP 38989 58050

Details

BISHOPS ITCHINGTON STATION ROAD SP35NE (East side) The Cottage 5/3 15/03/83 - II*

House. 1888 and 1900 by C.F.A. Voysey, for M.H. Lakin. Roughcast brick. Concrete tile hipped roof has gables to rear and curved iron gutter brackets throughout; roughcast ridge stacks. U-plan, with wings to rear. Arts and Crafts style. 2 storeys; 6-window range. Garden front, originally entrance front has porch with battered walls and leaded lights, but no door. Leaded glazed door inside. Plain leaded painted wood mullioned windows throughout, some with tile and roughcast drip moulds. Ground floor has 5- and 3-light windows, recessed between buttresses. Large 7-light hall window to left of porch, and smaller, 6-, 2- and 3-light windows to right have transoms. 4 shallow hipped half-dormers breaking just above eaves have large 3-light windows. 2 small 2-light windows on right. Low 3-bay loggia attached at right angles on right. Left return side altered and enlarged as entrance front 1900. Four-window range. Large low projection on right has 11-light window and hipped roof. Half-glazed door in angle, of 2 x 3 panels, with adjoining single light linked to 4-light window. Large 4-light window on left. First floor has 2 more 3-light half-dormers on left, and small 4- and 3-light windows. Right return side is an irregular 4-window range. To rear: central bay window of 5 x 2 lights projects from gallery with lean-to roof. 5 and 3-light windows to left. Gabled projection in right angle, adjoining bay window, has 3-light window. 3-sided bay window with steep roof in angle between projection and right wing. Small 4-light window above. Left wing has 3-light first floor window. Right return side has half-glazed door, 3-light window, and 2 first-floor lights. Right wing has single ground floor window. Interior: entrance hall, formerly gallery, has straight flight staircase with stick balusters and moulded handrail. Brick paved floor. Window has small panels of painted glass, of ships and horsemen respectively, possibly C17 Flemish. Room to right has simple fireplace with moulded shelf and curved lining of thin bricks laid on end. Former hall has plain ceiling beams Open fireplace has moulded shelf. Fireplace of brick and edge-laid tiles has arched openings. Wide plank and batten doors with strap hinges. Scrolled twisted rod window catches. Cupboards have heart-shaped escutcheons. The Cottage is Voysey's first completed building. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.214; J. Brandon-Jones et al: C.F.A. Voysey; architect and designer pp.33 and 38).

Listing NGR: SP3898958050

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
306998
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jones, J, CFA Voysey Architect and Designer 1857-1941, (1978), 33 38
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 214

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04027/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Walter Chinn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].