CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1035669

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1962

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, VILLAGE CENTRE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035669 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 15:21:13.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, VILLAGE CENTRE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Stert

National Grid Reference: SU 02966 59406

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STERT VILLAGE CENTRE SU 05 NW (north side) 9/205 Church of St James 19.3.62

GV II

Anglican parish church. 1846 by J.H. Hakewill, incorporating C16 work of aisle of previous church. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings and stone slate roof. Nave with north aisle and lean-to vestry, south porch, and chancel. C19 bell turret on west gable. East window of 3 lights and square headed windows in south wall of nave. Tudor arched windows to aisle. South porch with bold mouldings and angle buttresses, and a cross finial. Inner door chamfered. Interior: Nave arcade of 2 depressed arches with fleuron ornamented capitals, probably C16. Roof of 3½ bays with slender trusses propped from corbels and open rafters. Chancel arch on corbels with carved pendents. Short chancel with open roof and squint from north aisle. Fittings: Font, C19 in C12 style of intersecting arcades and inhabited scroll over. Inscription on rim. Pulpit, reading desk and choir stalls all of boldly detailed stained timber. Sanctuary rail similar on turned columns. Pews later C19 with doors. Organ at west end. Brass candelabra brackets in chancel. Monuments: In chancel, wall tablet, early C19, white marble on grey, by Tyley of Bristol, a round tablet with attic and shelf cornice. Draped urn over against shaped field. Apron below, to John Gale, died 1824. In nave: Wall tablet, early C19, white and grey marbles. Flanking fluted columns, urn over (damaged) against grey field. To John Giddings, died 1822, and later family. Brass of 1917 in aisle. C19 glass in east window, gift of Miss Halliday of Erchfont.

Listing NGR: SU0296659406

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 311625

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing