THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1035673

Date first listed: 27-May-1964

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035673 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 09:20:25.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Alton

National Grid Reference: SU 10646 62064

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALTON ALTON BARNES SU 16 SW 5/3 The Old Rectory (formerly listed as The Rectory) 27.5.64 II

Rectory, now house. Between 1728 and 1737, 1729? datestone on stack, rear block of 1785 and further alterations c1830-40. Vitrified brick with red brick dressings and raised brick quoins and plat band. Tiled roof. Two storeys, attics, and cellar. Five bays. Central hallway with flanking study and reception room; hall extended through later rear block to early C19 stair. Margin glazed door over 5 steps, stone surrounds and flat canopy on carved consoles. Windows with moulded architraves and fasciae also in stone and with segmental heads and keystones. Later 12-pane sashes. External stacks at ends. Three hipped dormers. Two heraldic quatrefoils set in north stack. Interior: Rector's study has full simple panelling and cornice. Wood C18 fire surround to reception room, formerly on first floor. Stair and fireplaces generally early Cl9, iron inserts in attic, inlaid marble in study, which also has bust of Augustus William Hare, public orator and author of 'The Alton Sermons', who resided in this house.

Listing NGR: SU1064662064

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 311636

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing