This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1035682

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Huish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-May-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 311654

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUISH - SU 16 SW 5/21 Church of St. Nicholas 27.5.64 II

Anglican parish church. 1878-9. Banded brick, sarsen, limestone, flint and malmstone. Vitrified brick to west gable. Tiled roof of 1961. Nave with south porch, and chancel with north side vestry. Entrance porch has pitched roof and wave moulded door. Two-light nave windows with quatrefoil heads and drip mould. Three lancets with trefoiled heads form west window. Limestone bellcote corbelled above west end. Chancel also has 2-light quatrefoiled windows. Coped verges. Date stone at west end reads RE TC 1790, and graffiti on buttress dated 1631. Interior: Nave of 3 bays, open hammerbeam trusses. Wide chancel arch with continuous mouldings. Panelled barrel vault of 3 bays. Vestry open to chancel. Fittings: Font octagonal, Cl9. Pulpit oak, also C19, pierced and panelled. Oak sanctuary rail. Monuments: In chancel, tablet, 1830 to Charlotte Bleeck. In nave, churchwardens tablet of 1739 and oval tablet to Evelyn Burge, died 1954. In case, 4 fine large encaustic tiles and 2 margin tiles, C15, recovered in excavations in 1966 on north side of building. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire; W.A.M 62, 63 and 64, 1967-9)

Listing NGR: SU1446163735

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963)
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, , Vol. 64, (1969)
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, , Vol. 63, (1968)
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, , Vol. 62, (1967)

National Grid Reference: SU 14461 63735

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035682 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-May-2018 at 06:51:37.

End of official listing