CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1035761

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035761 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 17:55:59.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Woodborough

National Grid Reference: SU 11366 60096

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOODBOROUGH CHURCH LANE SU 16 SW 5/202 Church of St. Mary Magdalen

II

Anglican parish church. 1850, by William Butterfield, and nave 1861-2 by T.H. Wyatt. Snecked squared limestone, with tiled roof to nave and stone slates to chancel. Slate roof to aisle. Nave with south porch, north aisle, chancel with lean-to vestry and organ recess. Bellcote over west gable. Porch gabled with quatrefoiled lights to side. Two, 3 and 4 square headed windows to nave. Two light west window with roundel above. Three light east window with slender tracery. Bellcote carried on a series of offsets on west wall. Interior: Nave of 4 bays with arcade on circular columns and capitals. Arch braced collar beam trusses, the braces rising from corbels. Low octagonal responds to chamfered pointed chancel arch. Chancel of 2 bays with trussed rafter roof and arch to organ chamber. Ogee-headed door to vestry. Fittings: Font, by south door, limestone, octagonal, with quatrefoil panels. Pulpit also limestone, panelled, with steps from chancel and oak handrail. Arcaded altar rail. Wall tiled in sanctuary. Organ in north aisle by Bryceson, Bros and Ellis. Monuments: Nave, 2 brasses of C20. Aisle 7 wall tablets: 1675, to Sarah Francklyn, 1782, to Jerom Dyke, 1804 to Sophia Dyke, an oval panel; 1813, to John Robbins by Lloyd of Bedwyn; 1829 to Sophia and Mary Dyke; 1831 by Harrison, to William Dyke and 1840 to William Robbins and family. In chancel: 1813, by King of Bath, to George Gibbs, with Latin inscription. Royal arms of Charles II over chancel arch.

Listing NGR: SU1136660096

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 311839

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing