CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035835.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:41:44.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- Market Lavington
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 01404 54134
MARKET LAVINGTON CHURCH STREET
12/128 Church of St Mary
Anglican parish church. Late C13, probably including earlier
fabric, C14, C15, restored c1860 by Ewan Christian, and 1910.
Greensand and ashlar and rubble, with some limestone freestone.
Lead roofs to nave and aisles, stone slates. to chancel, vestry and
porch. Chancel and nave late C13, north vestry late C13-early C14,
porch erected and aisles widened C14. South aisle extended east as
organ chamber and choir vestry in 1910. Tower C15. Chancel has 2-
light C13 bar tracery windows on north, and 3-light east window,
tracery renewed C19. Aisles have square headed windows with
trefoils over ogee triple lights in deep chamfered reveals. Single
clerestory lights to nave. West tower has tall lower stage with
setback angle buttresses and angled south stair, and crenellated
bell stage with two-light openings. West door with 3-light
transomed window over, all enclosed in tall panelled reveal arch.
North vestry to chancel at right angles, with trefoil headed west
door and post Reformation windows. Aisle extension has reset early
C15 window, and parapet to lower choir vestry. South porch has
wide double chamfered arch, within raised moulding and restored
cinquefoiled inner doorway. Numerous fragments of chevron, billet
and shafts from C12 church built in during restoration. C17
studded and panelled entrance door. Various external wall
Interior: Arcades of 3 bays, double chamfered, dying into slender
piers, perhaps recut from C12 arcade (Pevsner). Mouldings
continued to floor in north west arch. Walls plastered C19. Roof
low pitches, C17 five bays, tied beam trusses with king posts and
curved braces. Aisles ceiled on rake. North aisle window openings
continued down to low sills. Ogee headed and cusped door from
north aisle to rood stair, with two openings to nave. Tall tower
arch. Chancel arch late C14-C15. Chancel has C19 open rafter
roof. Moulded C14 door to vestry and south priest's door, now
leading to choir vestry. Early C14 piscina and small squint from
vestry to high altar. C20 arch to organ chamber. Sanctuary dado
lined with glazed tiled, stencilled bands and marble. Vestry has
C18 fielded panelling. Fittings: Font, octagonal, C14-C15, on
short column. Pulpit, C19, limestone octagon with carved
roundels. Altar rail, C19, oak. Reredos, limestone, with arcaded
frontal, gabled at centre, C19. Organ, mid C19, restored by Osmund
of Taunton. Furniture: In vicar's vestry, early C18 table with
stretchers, and four stools. Early C20 eastern rug. Pews C19.
Fragments: In vestry, C12 fragments including fluted capital
hollowed out at stoup, and shaft with foliage scroll.
Monuments: In chancel, north wall. Six monuments, from east:
a) Limestone, 1694. Bolection framed slate panel with gable,
shield with cartouche, to Francis Merewether and relatives.
b) Limestone aedicule, C18. Marble tablet flanked by corinthian
columns supporting entablature, arms over, against urn. Fluted
apron on death's head corbel. To William Sainsbury, died 1704,
c) Framed panel, marbles and limestone. Open pediment on
brackets. Mantled arms, putto on apron below shelf. To Samuel
Sainsbury, died 1708.
d) White marble against grey, late C18, by Flaxman. Inscribed
tablet with pyramid over and relief of mourning female leaning
against urn. Short columns at side. To Thomas Sainsbury, died
e) Limestone panel by Brewer of Box. Carved pilasters with
cornice. Shaped gable with urns, apron with 3 putti. To
William Merewether of Easterton, died 1783.
f) Limestone tablet. C18. Panel with cornice and scrolled
pediment. Gadrooned table and apron. Not read.
g) Handsome tablet by Reeves of Bath. Marble on slate. Wide
corniced panel with scrolled supports. Large urn and lamp
over. Acanthus apron. To John Legg died 1802, and sisters.
Nave, north side, oval marble inlaid tablet by Brewer of Colerne.
Husk surround, crested arms over and putto below. To Richard Legg,
died 1778, and family. Framed limestone tablet with cornice and
mantled arms over. To Edward Pleydell-Bouverie, died 1889, and
South side: Tablet, white marble on grey. To Thomas Stobbert,
died 1860, and relatives.
North aisle. Five wall monuments, from east:
a) Oval inlaid marble tablet by Brewer of Box. Husk surround,
crested arms over, putto below. To John Shergold, died 1788.
b) Various marbles. Panel with recessed pilasters and pediment.
Crest over, apron below. To Richard Hayward, died 1726, and
c) Gilded oval panel with foliage frame. To Rev Thomas Tanner,
died 1748, and wife. (Photograph of his portrait hangs below).
d) White marble on streaked red. To Percival Oram, died 1917.
e) Limestone monument with marble panel by Brewer of Box. Carved
pilasters with cornice and shaped gable with urns over. Putto
below. To Amran Edwards, died 1783.
Also brass war memorial and three other brasses.
South aisle: Three wall monuments:
a) White marble on grey. Valence panel with tall urn over cornice
against grey pyramid. To Francis Draper, died 1802.
b) Similar, but without urn. To Rev Joseph Legg, died 1798, and
c) C18 baroque limestone. Waisted shield with draped cartouche.
To ? Shergold. Date not read.
Also in aisle, Royal arms, canvas on wood, 1744. Four painted
metal texts in nave. Four hatchments, a) Hon Duncombe Pleydell
Bouverie, died 1850. b) Louisa, widow of last, died 1852. c)
Merewether impaling unidentified arms, and d) unidentified.
(Church guide; Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire)
Listing NGR: SU0140554137
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Church of St Mary Church Guide
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/131608
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/131611
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/3172
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/3173
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/69178
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing