Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1035857

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1962

Statutory Address: URCHFONT MANOR, B3098


Ordnance survey map of URCHFONT MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035857 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 11:38:15.


Statutory Address: URCHFONT MANOR, B3098

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Urchfont

National Grid Reference: SU 03583 56962


URCHFONT B3098 SU 05 NW (north-west side) 2/183 Urchfont Manor 19.3.62 II* Large house, c1680 for Sir William Pynsent, incorporating parts of a C15 house. Altered c1700 and 1767. Flemish brickwork with stone quoins and dressings. Two storeys, attics and basement. Clay tiles replacing limestone slates. Original C15 structure probably a simple house running east-west now the core of later work. Parallel range on south added, 7 bays with central entrance. Further extended c1700, possibly by William Talman (Talman's father lived at Eastcott, and sold land at Urchfont to Pynsent) by construction of main saloon/hall on east front, reusing materals to form balancing wing on north. Lean-to to rear of this east block, and parallel single storey range at north west corner added probably mid C18. Principal east front of 7 bays, the central section in finer brick in lime putty, raised stone quoins and pediment to attic. Central ovolo moulded door with open segmental pediment on corinthian columns, and segmental pediment to first floor window over. Flanking 12-pane sash windows with bolection moulded architraves and triangular pediments, the lower member continued as string. Bays 1 and 2 retain cross windows but have added pediments and pulvinated frieze. Bays 6 and 7 replicate design after addition of central facade, using reclaimed materials. Moulded stone windows to basement. Eaves boxed and roof hipped. South, earlier, elevation of 7 bays, central door moved, probably to east front, and replaced with window. Cross windows converted to 12-pane sashes and sills lowered. Basement of stone with moulded windows. Rear elevation of 4 bays, English bond, with reserved chamfered cross windows with gauged brick arches and moulded string. Door C18, bolection moulded, and C19 metal fanlight added to second bay. Chamfered stone windows to mid C18 domestic extensions. Interior: Present hall, in west wing, has large late C15-early C16 stone open fireplace, possibly reset to brick stack. To rear, a fine late C17 open well stair, twisted balusters, originally dividing to two symmetrical upper flights, altered C19 to one, and minor stair added with splat balusters. South front rooms altered C20, central room has bolection moulded limestone fireplace. Timber surround with marble slips to east room, 1770-90. Hall, now dining room, has bolection moulded panelling and cornice, and end bolection moulded fireplace with painting over. Dado panelling to stair and some upper rooms. Early C18 dormers removed. (VCH x)

Listing NGR: SU0358356962


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 312089

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1975)

End of official listing