CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035909.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 10:37:58.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 23324 61427
SU 26 SW (east side)
2/10 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. 1854 and 1876 by T.H. Wyatt, with C15 west tower. Flint with interspersed limestone ashlar, upper stage of tower of ashlar. Low pitched slate roofs to nave and aisles, steeper pitched slate to chancel and chapels, lead to south aisle. Nave with north aisle, south aisle added 1876, south porch. Chancel with south lady chapel and balancing north vestries. Two, 3 and 4-light windows with C19 variants of early Perpendicular tracery. Reset C14 window to west end of north aisle, and some C14 porch details. Angle buttresses and sturdy flying buttresses to east ends of aisles. West tower, short, of 2 stages. Stair tower on north side with external door. West door in 4-centred head and 3-light C15 window with casement mouldings over. Two light openings to bell stage. Crenellated parapet with crocketed pinnacles. South porch has arch dying into imposts and moulded inner door. C19 external framed wood gates with wavy iron spikes. Interior: Slide nave of unplastered ashlar. Roof of 4 bays with half bay at east end. Arcades of 4 chamfered arches on octagonal columns. Two light clerestory windows. Tall tower arch with ringing gallery over entrance porch. Wide chancel arch with wave moulded inner order and applied gilded inscription around hoodmould. Open traceried panelling to timber trusses and cinquefoiled central arch. Moulded purlins and open rafters. Wide chancel with imposing east window. Two bay arcades each side and narrow east bay. Tiled floor. Panelled roof on moulded and brattished wall plate. Lady chapel has trussed rafter roof and oculus over east window. North chapel subdivided to vicar's and choir vestries. Fittings: Font, C19 octagonal limestone bowl with inscription and linked cusping. Pyramidal oak cover, detached. Pulpit 1854, open 2-light arches in pine. Brass eagle lectern. Altar rails on iron scrolled brackets. Glass: East window and south window, by Powell. Monuments: Nave, west end. Two wall tablets. a) Limestone. Shield on square panel with cornice over with draped urn, table below with flower on apron. Not read. b) Limestone charity memorial. 18... Limestone with inset white marble tablet. Crown over, lightly carved pendants at side and putto on apron. Commemorating Philip Pearce's donation to church and to foundation of a school for reading. South aisle: Great War memorial, marble within limestone frame. North aisle: White marble tablet with red marble frame, all mounted on black slate, by Harrison. To Hon Anna and Amelia Noel Hill, died 1837. Three C19 brasses set to nave columns. Furniture: C18 or early C19 oak parochial chest with three locks. Cast iron plaque recording grant of £465 to rebuilding, and designating 12 numbered seats for the poor, is now affixed to wall of south side of Blackman's Lane. (Pevsner, Buildings of England: WILTSHIRE)
Listing NGR: SU2332461427
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 29 August 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963)
War Memorials Online, accessed 29 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/227699
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing