SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1035912

Date first listed: 13-Jun-1988

Statutory Address: SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035912 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 17:27:34.

Location

Statutory Address: SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Burbage

National Grid Reference: SU 23264 61365

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURBAGE EASTCOURT SU 26 SW (west side) 2/18 School and School House II

National Schools and attached schoolmaster's house. 1856. Red and blue diaper brickwork with buff brick quoins and dressings, tiled roof. Schoolrooms at south end, 2 rooms with lean-to on gable containing secondary entrance and cloaks. Main entrance at north end against house, gabled with incised inscription over reading AD 1856 NATIONAL SCHOOLS / FEED MY LAMBS. Wide central bay gabled. Diagonal boarded doors with elaborate iron hinges. Timber windows, with large window with 2-centred head in central bay. At north end the master's house of one bay, gabled, and extended over main entrance corridor. Gables steeply pitched with trefoil vent and barge boards. To side of house, main domestic door similar to those of school. Lean-to at rear. The schoolrooms were built for 70 children initially. A gallery for infants was inserted in 1861 by the Marquis of Ailesbury.

Listing NGR: SU2326461365

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 312227

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing