This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

The Old School House

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: The Old School House

List entry Number: 1036250


16 South Street, Warminster, BA12 8DZ

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Warminster

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Mar-1978

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 313013

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/10/2014

ST 8644 3/289 5411

WARMINSTER, SOUTH STREET, No. 16, The Old School House

(Formerly listed as No. 40)


Circa 1868. Former Infants' (or Ragged) School. Extended 1878. To South Street an 'L' plan single storey building with weathered buttresses at corners and a lancet triplet with recessed mullions and keyed arches over to projecting gable-ends. Projecting gabled porch to left of left hand wing, pointed doorway, pair of lancets with recessed mullion. Tiled roof with decorative bands and crested ridge. Return to Cannymore Road has 3 pairs of lancets with recessed mullions. Slightly recessed schoolmaster's house. 1 1/2 storeys with 2 half dormers, gabled paired lancets with recessed mullions. Similar window on ground floor to right. All with glazing bar casements. Pointed doorway with beaded door to left and another similar window to left. Cast iron street sign dating from 1834 to Cannymore Road (of No 66 Deverill Road).

Listing NGR: ST8629144242

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST8629244386


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1036250 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 11:15:35.

End of official listing