This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CONVERTED COACH HOUSE TO NORTH EAST WREN HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CONVERTED COACH HOUSE TO NORTH EAST WREN HOUSE

List entry Number: 1036254

Location

CONVERTED COACH HOUSE TO NORTH EAST, 32, VICARAGE STREET
WREN HOUSE, 32, VICARAGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Warminster

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 313026

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WARMINSTER VICARAGE STREET 1. 5411 (North-West Side) 28.4.52. No 32 (Wren House) Converted Coach House to north-east ST 8645 SE 5/54

II* GV

2. An extremely good example of an early Georgian 5 bay house. Probably circa 1720 or 1730. 2 storeys and attic with a hipped mansard old tile roof. Coursed rubble on projecting plinth with moulded coping, plain string over ground floor windows, rusticated quoins, moulded and bracketted cornice and parapet. Slight central break, with pediment and quoined bullseye, Venetian window on 1st floor and wide 6 panel door on ground floor with Gibbs surround moulded and bracketted cornice, and narrow flanking windows. Altered glazing to sash windows, 2 ranges on each side of centre with architraves. 2 small mullioned windows to cellars below plinth. 2 dormers with architrave surrounds, central keyblocks and cornice and pediment. Interior retains several period features - vaulted cellars; fine oak staircase with 3 balusters to tread, uncut string with scrolls and guttae, scrolled end piece, ramped dado; 2 light stair window with stop moulded mullion; eared surround to fireplace in room on ground floor to right (from 1st floor). Long former stable wing to rear of stone with brick quoins - recently and well converted to accommodation with reused glazing bar sash windows. Former coach-house, to east converted into dwelling. 1 1/2 storeys, brick lacing course and pigeon holes.

Listing NGR: ST8674445087

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 86744 45087

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1036254 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2018 at 01:56:38.

End of official listing