This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BANK HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BANK HOUSE

List entry Number: 1036306

Location

BANK HOUSE, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Westbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 313142

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTBURY MARKET PLACE 1. 5411 (North Side) Bank House ST 8751 NW 3/42 29.12.50.

II* GV

2. Formerly Marlborough House. Early C18. Red brick with stone dressings, 2 storey and attic. 5 bays. Wide eaves and moulded cornice to steep hipped old tile roof. Chamfered quoins. Projecting plinth with moulded stone top. Moulded stone string over ground floor windows. 2 tall narrow, gabled dormer windows with glazing bar sashes. Glazing bar sashes in stone surrounds with beaded inner edges. Central modern glazed door inserted in moulded stone surround with carved stone shell hood on carved stone scroll brackets. Contemporary staircase inside, alternate twisted and turned balusters, moulded handrail, cut string with cut spandrels, wide scroll step at bottom. This staircase with its reeded end columns and rungs to rail and dado is not unlike that in Edgar House (q.v. No 2 Church Street) which seems roughly 1720-40. Single storey, 2 window extension to left with wide door to left having overlight of interesting circles. This extension probably modern. The Bank House is part of the Market Place group, but also groups with West End.

Listing NGR: ST8733151555

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 87336 51556

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1036306 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 06:46:26.

End of official listing