Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1036357

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1968



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1036357 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 16:23:22.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Heytesbury

National Grid Reference: ST 92504 42549


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HEYTESBURY HIGH STREET ST 92 SW (south side) 9/59 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul 11.9.68


Collegiate and Anglican parish church. Late C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, restored 1864-67 by W. Butterfield. Limestone, rubble stone and ashlar, Welsh slate roofs, ceramic ridge cresting. Plan: cruciform church with aisles to chancel and nave, south porch. C19 gabled porch with moulded pointed doorway and hoodmould. South aisle has 3-light pointed window with mullions in deep reveals to left and two similarly restored 3-light windows to right of porch, clerestory has three 2-light C16 windows with cusped square heads and hoodmoulds. South transept has flat roof, formerly pitched, diagonal buttresses, plain pointed south window with mullions and transoms. South aisle of chancel restored 1860's, hollow chamfered lancets and simple zig-zag eaves decoration, chancel clerestory has three hollow-chamfered lancets and blocking course with saddleback coping. East end has angle buttresses, restored chamfered lancet. 1860's north aisle of chancel has hollow chamfered lancets and pointed door with ornamental hinges to integral vestry, clerestory has three chamfered lancets, blocking course as south side. North transept has partially blocked 3-light Perpendicular window to east, C19 Perpendicular-style window to north, 1614 on datestone over, shallow-pitched roof. North aisle has four 3-light windows, as south aisle set-back buttress to west corner. West end has good 5-light Perpendicular window, C19 quatrefoils to aisles. Low 2- stage tower over crossing has setback buttresses, chamfered loopholes to first stage, offset bellstage has C14 two-light pointed windows with reticulated tracery and louvres, plain string to blocking course, stair turret with loopholes on south west side. Interior: Nave has segmental barrel-vaulted ceiling with ribs and rosettes, 4-bay aisles with octagonal piers and triple chamfered arches, east and south-west responds are C13 with attached triple- shafts. Crossing has C13 triple-chamfered arches on attached triple-shafts with keel mouldings. South transept hs C19 doorway to west and C13 doorway to chancel. North or Hungerford Chapel has fine stone C16 traceried screen from crossing, with fan coving and crocketed ogee hoodmould to depressed archway; C16 panelled doorway from chancel. Chancel has scissor-rafter and wagon roof, 3-bay north aisle with one late C12 pier with scalloped capital, triple-shaft responds and restored east compound pier, south aisle has restored compound piers with Purbeck marble shafts, triple chamfered arches. Fine C13 east end has rere-arches on Purbeck marble shafts, 1860's polychrome tile wall decoration. C19 vestry within north aisle has blind arcading on marble shafts. 1623 kneeling figures of Moore Family, erected in north aisle of chancel 1959. Butterfield fittings include coloured marble font in south aisle, nave pews and stone reredos, polychrome tiled floor. Late C19 carved wooden octagonal pulpit with sounding board. Particularly good Gibbs stained glass in chancel and north transept. Good collection of wall memorials in north and south transepts; classical tablets to Everetts and fine stone tablet with Doric columns to entablature and gadrooned apron, to Richard Snelgrove died 1650. Tablets in north transept to Ash-a-Courts of Heytesbury House (q.v.), marbles signed by T. King of Bath, 1817, and Reeves of Bath 1840. Collegiate church founded c1160 by Jocelin, Bishop of Salisbury. (E.D. Ginever, The Ancient Wiltshire Village of Heytesbury, 1981; N. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975.)

Listing NGR: ST9250142559


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 313280

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Ginever, ED, The Ancient Wiltshire Village of Heytesbury, (1981)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

End of official listing