CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1036461

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1036461 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 20:24:03.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Codford

National Grid Reference: ST 96580 39933

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CODFORD HIGH STREET, Codford St Peter ST 93 NE (north side) 7/58 Church of St Peter 11.9.68 GV II* Anglican parish church. C13, C15, 1863 restoration by T.H. Wyatt. Dressed limestone and rubble stone, tiled roof with coped verges. Plan: West tower, nave, south porch, chancel, north aisle and vestry. C15 gabled south porch with C19 pointed archway with original hoodmould with shield-carved terminals, diagonal buttresses, string course with gargoyles to battlemented parapet. Nave to left has 2-light square-headed C19 window, 3-light and single-light C19 windows to right, all with cusped lights and hoodmoulds, battlemented parapet with string course and gargoyles. Chancel has chamfered pointed, south door, 2-light C19 plate tracery window either side, diagonal buttresses to east end, original C13 pilaster buttress to centre of east end below C19 three-light pointed lancet. C19 gabled vestry to north side with pointed doorway and cusped lancet. Lean-to north aisle with 3-light and two 2-light C19 square-headed windows with cusped lights and hoodmoulds, some original stonework retained and some reset fragments of C13 carved stone, west end of aisle has 2-light square-headed window with original hoodmould. Three-stage west tower with diagonal buttresses and string course to bellstage only, 3-light restored Perpendicular window to west, middle stage has arrowloops and octagonal clockface to south side, bellstage has 2- light Perpendicular louvres to all sides but north which has one cusped lancet, string course with gargoyles to battlemented parapet; crocketed corner pinnacles. Plain rectangular stair turret with arrowloops on north side of tower. Interior: Porch rebuilt with money from Maria Waldron; moulded ribbed vault on foliage corbels, moulded pointed inner doorway with planked door with ornamental strap hinges. Nave has 3 ½ bay C19 deep arch-braced collar truss roof on foliage corbels with collar trusses to half bays. C15 moulded tower arch. Three-bay C19 north arcade with double chamfered arches on compound piers, lean-to aisle roof, organ at east end. C19 moulded pointed chancel arch on marble shafts, carved wooden screen by F.C. Eden c1910. Chancel has rib-panelled boarded ceiling, polychrome tiled floor, early C20 communion rails with vase balusters, C18 communion table, 1891 brass candelabra, C13 trefoil-headed sedilia on south wall with triangular hoodmould over each arch. Other fittings: square C12 font with carved stars and crosses in discs on single column with scalloped base, C17 font cover with strapwork carving. Eight-point star-shaped Hatchment of Prince Leopold in chancel. Early C20 polygonal wooden pulpit. Painted Royal Arms dated 1716 on south wall of nave. High quality stained glass in north aisle, early C20 and probably German or Flemish, stained glass in south west nave window to Brind family and signed Gibbs and Howard 1881. C18 and C19 monuments include good slate and marble tablet in tower to Thomas Polden died 1753, classical C15 marbles to Crouch family, marble by Wood of Bristol to Rev John Dampier died 1839. Very well preserved C9 Saxon cross shaft with fine carving of man with alder branch, against north wall of chancel. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; Church Guide)

Listing NGR: ST9658039933

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 313531

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Peter Codford Guide
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

End of official listing