BAPTIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1036507

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1968

Statutory Address: BAPTIST CHAPEL, CARPENTERS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAPTIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1036507 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 04:37:01.

Location

Statutory Address: BAPTIST CHAPEL, CARPENTERS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bratton

National Grid Reference: ST 91387 52553

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRATTON CARPENTERS LANE ST 9152 (north side) 11/6 Baptist Chapel 11.9.68 GV II* Baptist chapel. 1734 with additions early C19 and mid C19. Flemish bond brick, stone slate hipped roof to chapel, tiled hipped roofs to flanking schoolrooms, brick stacks with toothed bands. Single storey chapel with gallery, 2-storey schoolrooms. Central round-arched 8-panelled door in bolection-moulded architrave with keystone and imposts, semi-circular stone hood, 12-pane round- arched sash with keystone and imposts either side, keyed rose window over and square sundial over door, moulded stone eaves and plain stone pilasters. Schoolrooms to either side have 4-panelled or 6-panelled doors, one 12-pane sash to first floor. Left return has three sashes to ground and first floor, datestone 1858. Right return has two sashes to both floors. Rear of chapel has two round-arched 12-pane windows and keyed rose window over, dentil brick eaves cornice, extension of rear recorded by 1786 datestone to first floor. Rear of schoolrooms have sashes. Interior of chapel has gallery of 1807 on three sides with recessed panelling, on octagonal wooden columns, plaster ceiling cornice, box pews to ground floor and gallery, reading desk on raised dais at north end, doors with 4 fielded panels, marble fireplace in west schoolroom first floor. Baptists had been meeting in Erlestoke since 1662 and in Bratton since 1701, before this chapel was built by subscription. (History of the Baptist Church, 1662-1962)

Listing NGR: ST9138752553

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 313643

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
History of the Baptist Church 1662-1962

End of official listing