CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1036509

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1036509 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 22:17:31.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bratton

National Grid Reference: ST 91416 51930

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRATTON CHURCH ROAD ST 95 SW ( south side ) 5/9 Church of St James 11.9.68 GV II * Anglican parish church. C14, C15, chancel rebuilt 1854 by G.G. Scott, restoration 1860 by T.H. Wyatt. Rubble stone and ashlar, lead roofs. Aisled cruciform plan with south porch and north vestry. Porch is C15 rebuild of earlier one; gabled, with C19 Tudor-arched doorway, pair of C19 lancets over, diagonal buttress to left, battlemented parapet with scratch sundial with initials JR/W to centre merlon. South aisle to left has 2-light C16 window with cusped lights, battlemented parapet. South clerestory has two 3-light pointed Perpendicular windows, string course with large gargoyles to battlemented parapet. South transept has C14 two- light window with hoodmould to south, diagonal buttresses, C19 C16- style window to east, plain parapet. 1854 chancel has lancet either side of blind doorway, east end has diagonal buttresses, 3- light geometric-style window. 1925 north vestry has 2-light windows to east and north, gargoyles from nave roof reset on parapet. North transept has 2-light C14 north window, diagonal buttresses and plain parapet. North aisle has two C16 cusped 2- light windows with hoodmoulds, chamfered pointed doorway to left, string course to plain parapet. North clerestory has two 3-light Perpendicular windows and parapet with gargoyles. West end has diagonal buttresses to outer corners of aisles, buttresses with offsets to nave; large Tudor-arched C15 doorway with 4-light Perpendicular window over, former roofline visible. Three-stage crossing tower has 2-light C16 windows to first stage, large painted sundial to middle stage with words TEMPUS FUGIT and date 1801, single-light to all sides, bellstage has 2-light square- headed windows with pierced stone louvres, string course with gargoyles to battlemented parapet, octagonal stair turret on north east corner has chamfered loopholes and conical roof. Interior: Porch has stone benches, C14 image niche over C19 doorway. Two-bay nave with C15 shallow-pitched king post roof with moulded soffits, on C19 corbels. North and south arcades are recut C14 wave-moulded piers with attached shafts to wide pointed arches, moulded pointed arches at east end to transepts. Fine C14 crossing with compound piers and moulded arches, tierceron vault on carved head corbels, with circular bell rope hatch with bosses. South transept, now organ chamber, and north transept have C19 rafter roofs, north transept retains angel corbels and four blocked cusped niches to east wall, narrow ribbed door to stairs. Chancel has archway to vestry and blind doorway, trefoiled piscina. Fittings: recut C12 font bowl with scallops, C19 pulpit and pews, altar is C17 table. Good stained glass to east, west, and aisle windows by A. Gibbs, 1860s. Monuments include south transept marble tablets to William Whitaker, died 1771, with urn; to Elizabeth Whitaker died 1806 by King of Bath. (J. Morrison, Bratton Church Guide; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST9141651930

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 313646

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Morrison, J , Bratton Church Guide
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963)

End of official listing