Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1036517

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1968

Statutory Address: YEW TREES, LOWER ROAD


Ordnance survey map of YEW TREES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1036517 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 17:50:00.


Statutory Address: YEW TREES, LOWER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bratton

National Grid Reference: ST 91226 52666


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BRATTON LOWER ROAD ST 9152 (north side) 11/27 Yew Trees 11.9.68 GV II Detached house. Mid to late C18. Flemish bond brick, tiled mansard roof to right hand range, left hand range plain tiled, coped verges and gable end brick stacks. Two-storey, 3-window late C18 entrance front. Central 6-panelled door in panelled reveals with semi-circular fanlight and flat wooden hood on brackets, 20- pane sash either side. Plat band to first floor; three 12-pane sashes. Moulded stone cornice to plain brick blocking course. Three raking dormers with 6-pane sashes to lower pitch of mansard. Range attached to left, probably mid C18, has five 12-pane segmental-headed sashes, 3-brick plat band to first floor; two 9- pane sashes and three blocked sashes; two 6-pane sashes to segmental-headed dormers. Left return in good English bond brick has unusual diagonal brick buttresses with ogee swept copings. Interior not accessible at time of survey (May 1986). Front of house rebuilt following fire in 1789. Occupied by the Whitaker family till 1940; Jeffery Whitaker opened a school here c1740 which closed c1820. (M. Reeves, Sheep Bell and Ploughshare, 1978)

Listing NGR: ST9122652666


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 313664

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Reeves, M, Sheep Bell and Ploughshare, (1978)

End of official listing