BRATTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1036520
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1968
Statutory Address:
BRATTON HOUSE, MELBOURNE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRATTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1036520 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 15:14:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRATTON HOUSE, MELBOURNE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bratton
National Grid Reference:
ST 91618 52513

Details

BRATTON MELBOURNE STREET ST 9152 (north side) 11/36 Bratton House 11.9.68 GV II* Detached house. Date 1715 on rainwater heads, for Philip Ballard, enlarged 1826 for Seagram family and altered 1915, 1930s. Rendered brick with stone quoins, lead roof to C18 range, hipped. Welsh slate to C19 build, rendered stacks. Rectangular plan with two rear wings. Three-storey, 7-window front; central 3 bays break forward. Central half-glazed door, up semi-circular stone steps, in moulded architrave with broken pediment containing Ballard crest, narrow flanking sashes, to side are two 18-pane sashes in moulded architraves with dripstones. First floor has 18-pane and narrow 12-pane sashes to centre with two 18-pane sashes to sides. Second floor has 12-pane and narrow 8-pane to centre, 12-pane sashes to sides. Moulded eaves cornice to balustraded parapet, lead rain water goods and heads with date 1715 and initials PBS and IBA. Right return has half-glazed central door up semi-circular steps with large segmental hood on brackets, two 18-pane sashes either side, five to first floor and five 12-pane sashes to second floor. To right is 1826 library with 12-pane sashes to lower ground floor, large 12-pane and tripartite sashes to upper ground floor, early C20 second floor has three sashes, balustraded parapet as front. Left return has half-glazed door in bolection-moulded surround with shell hood, two sashes either side, five 18-pane sashes to first floor, 12-pane sashes to second floor, basement has blocked bolection-moulded doorway and mullioned casements. Rear ranges have small sashes to lower ground floor and first floor, large tripartite 15-pane sash to right and 24-pane sash to main floor of library to left, rainwater head with initials BFS/1826 (Frowde Seagram), deep eaves to right range. Interior has fine stair hall with fielded panelling, bolection- moulded fireplace, wide elliptical arch, stairs have 3 turned or twisted balusters to open string treads with carved ends, wide swept handrail. Small sitting room to right of entrance has fielded panelling, moulded cornices and marble fireplace. Library of 1826 has modillioned cornice, reset Italian fireplace with classical scene on frieze, bookcases by Norman Evill c1930. Doors with 6 fielded panels, back stairs have 2 turned balusters per tread. Bedroom in Regency range with 1930s fittings by Mrs. Bowes- Lyon. (Country Life, August 5, 1971)

Listing NGR: ST9161852513

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
313673
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 5 August, (1971)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00372/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ron L Pybus. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].