CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1036728
Date first listed:
23-Mar-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, ALPHETON

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1036728.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:22:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, ALPHETON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Alpheton
National Grid Reference:
TL 87346 50474

Details

Alpheton 1. 5377 Church of St Peter and St Paul TL 85 SE 4/17 23.3.61. 1

2. Mainly a C15 church with a large west tower, nave and chancel. Built of flint and stone rubble. The west tower is in 3 stages, with diagonal buttresses and a castellated parapet. The south porch of circa 1450 (restored in 1913) has 2 moulded and castellated beams with crown posts and a moulded wall plate. The south door, of circa 1430, is carved with Tudor roses, foliage and pomegram in the moulding. The interior has a C15 font and a C17 octagonal pulpit. On the north wall of the nave there is the remains of a C16 wall painting of St Christopher, now almost illegible. Graded for its architectural and historical value.

Listing NGR: TL8734650474

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
277813
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/05001/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].