Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDMUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1036733.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:09:28.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Babergh (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 93574 38796


Assington 1. 5377 Church of St Edmund TL 93 NW 11/32 23.3.61. I

2. A C15 flint church with stone dressings. The chancel was rebuilt in 1830 and the west tower was rebuilt in 1863 when the church was restored. The tower has angle buttresses, a castellated parapet and an octagonal corner staircase turret. The nave has a castellated parapet. The south doors were made by Thomas Elliston in 1766. The nave has braced cambered beams with crown posts and the aisles have moulded beams and joists, with bosses carved with heads and tudor roses. The interior fittings include a brass of circa 1500 to a knight and lady, a brass to Robert Gurdon (d 1577) and wife, a brass to John Gurdon (d 1623) and wife, in the chancel a double wall monument of circa 1625 with 2 pairs of kneeling figures to Robert Gurdon (d 1577) and John Gurdon (d 1623), and in the south aisle a wall monument to Brampton Gurdon (d 1648) and his 2 wives. Graded for its historical value and internal features.

Listing NGR: TL9357438796


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09520/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T. P. C. Bramer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].