CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1036973
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1036973.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:19:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Freston
National Grid Reference:
TM 17096 39511

Details

TM 13 NE FRESTON CHURCH LANE (East side) 4/4 Church of St Peter 22.2.55 II* Church. C13-C14. Extensive restoration of 1875. C19 additions include vestry and porch. Flint rubble with some septaria to tower, ashlar dressings. East end rendered. Porch of knapped flint and ashlar with timber superstructure. Plain tile roof. West tower, continuous nave and chancel, south porch, polygonal organ chamber to south and similar vestry to north. 3-stage tower with 2-light west window and belfry openings. Diagonal off-set flushwork buttresses. Off-set top stage embattled. South porch contains a continuously-moulded pointed door with stiff-leaf stops. Nave: 2-light windows with C19 tracery. Blocked north door continuously-moulded with foliate stops. Single-light windows and pointed doors to organ chamber and vestry, under conical roofs. Chancel: 2-light window to south, heavily restored, retaining head stops to hoodmould. 3-light east window with C19 intersecting tracery. Head stops to hoodmould. Interior: tall tower arch with sanctus bell window above. C19 timber roof and fittings. Ogee-arched cusped piscina to chancel. C16 octagonal font with alternating panels of lions and demi-angels with shields, on renewed base. Black ledger in tower with achievement of arms, in roundel inscribed to John Wright 'patron of the church' d. l1 February 1723. Stained glass on north side of nave of 1922 by William Morris and Co.



Listing NGR: TM1709639511

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
277283
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00221/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Russell Edwards. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].