TALBOT CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1037009
Date first listed:
18-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
TALBOT CHAPEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of TALBOT CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037009 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 03:46:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
TALBOT CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Telford and Wrekin (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Church Aston
National Grid Reference:
SJ 72597 18452

Details

LONGFORD LONGFORD 1. 5362 Talbot Chapel

SJ 71NW 24/449 18.6.59

II* GV

2. The C13 south chancel chapel is all that remains of the Old Church which is situated to the north of the present church. It is now the mortuary chapel of the Talbots and contains a large monument to Thomas Talbot 1686 and his wife 1706, it is a standing wall-monument with large twisted columns flanking an inscription with a segmental pediment above, flanked by 2 putti and surrounded by iron railings. The chapel, former south chancel domed circa C13, is a small sandstone building with tiled gable ended roof. Two pairs of lancets on north side, wide blocked arch on south side. Five lancet lights under one arch in the east end. Double- chamfered 2-centred arch west doorway.

Listing NGR: SJ7259718452

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
362302
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09960/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr B. A. James. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].