Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1037186

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1958



Ordnance survey map of THE GUILDHALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037186 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 16:47:31.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh (District Authority)

Parish: Lavenham

National Grid Reference: TL9159749287


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/03/2013

TL 9149 50/617 23.1.58

LAVENHAM, MARKET PLACE (south-east side) The Guildhall


A superb early C16 timber-framed building with plaster infill (circa 1529). It was the hall of the Guild of Corpus Christi, founded in 1529, and one of the 4 medieval guilds of Lavenham. It is one of the finest examples of half timbering in this part of the country. In the C18 and C19 it was used as the Bridewell and workhouse and was restored by Sir Cuthbert Quilter (circa 1911). It is now owned by the National Trust. All the timber-framing is very heavy and closely spaced. Roofs tiled. At the south-west end there is a cross wing with a jettied gable on a moulded and carved bressumer and a return front on Lady Street. Two storeys. A fine two storeyed gabled porch projects on the north-west front, with heavy carved corner posts and doorcase. The upper storey is jettied on both fronts on a richly carved bressumer which extends across the whole building. At the north-west corner there is a heavy corner post carved with a figure with a lance. The windows have all been restored to their original pattern, mostly 5 or 6 light shallow oriel windows with moulded sills, the upper windows are mullioned and the ground storey windows are mullioned and transomed, all with lattice leaded lights. The interior has heavy moulded and carved timber and much fine detail. There is a large chimney stack on the cross wing with sawtooth shafting.

Listing NGR: TL9159749287


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 276767

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing