CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1037333
Date first listed:
23-Jan-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037333.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:54:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Cockfield
National Grid Reference:
TL 90396 54991

Details

COCKFIELD CHURCH LANE 1. 5377 Church of St Peter TL 95 SW 32/255 23.1.58 GV 2. A fine C14 and C15 flint and stone church with a tall C15 west tower with a chequerwork embattled parapet and angle buttresses with tabled offsets and inset flint chequerwork on the faces. The south aisle has an embattled parapet with carved ornamentation. The south porch also has a richly ornamented embattled parapet, flint flushwork panels and 3 ogee headed niches. The south doorway is ornamented with fleurons and shields. The nave has a fine C14 collar purlin roof with 4-way braced crown posts with moulded caps and bases on moulded and carved tie beams. The south aisle has a fine C15 roof with moulded and carved beams and arched braces. The interior has a C14 altar tomb with carved stone canopy and a fine C18 tomb to Jacob Harvey of Pepper's Hall (d 1723) by N Royce of Bury St Edmunds. Graded for its architectural, historical and topographical value.

Listing NGR: TL9039654991

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
276402
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10433/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Wilfred N. Winder. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].