This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE PRIORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE PRIORY

List entry Number: 1037562

Location

THE PRIORY, 12, THE CHURCH YARD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Mildenhall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Oct-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 275846

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 7074 MILDENHALL THE CHURCH YARD

12/37 No. 12, The Priory

7.5.54 - II

House, formerly union workhouse. 1836, with alterations of c.1900. Possible earlier core. 2 storeys. Rendered masonry walls with parapets and a Dutch gable at either end of the front elevation. Slated roofs. Mullioned and transomed casements of c.1900. 4-panelled arched partly-glazed entrance door. The doorway has a reset C15 surround of limestone, arched and hollow-chamfered. The label above is heavily moulded with a carved frieze bearing two shields, one flanked by angels, the other by lions. The doorway is believed to have been removed from the house of the Cellarer of St. Edmunds Abbey; this may have been the earlier range (said to have been constructed with oak timber) which was demolished c.1897, at the front of the present house. A rear wing of 1836, gault brick with slated roof, has horizontally sliding casements on the north side.

Listing NGR: TL7089774629

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 70973 74560

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037562 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-May-2018 at 04:35:31.

End of official listing