CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1037675
Date first listed:
07-May-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037675.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:05:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Forest Heath (District Authority)
Parish:
Gazeley
National Grid Reference:
TL 71932 64164

Details

TL 76 SW 6/47

GAZELEY THE STREET Church of All Saints

7.5.54

I Church, medieval. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. Flint rubble with areas of rendering to the porch and chancel. Freestone dressings, parapet gables and crenellated parapets. Roofs plaintiled to chancel and porch, slated to nave and vestry, and flat to tower and aisles. A substantial early C14 church with late C15 alterations. Chancel an unusual east window with 3 lights below a cusped trefoil; in the reveals blank arched panels and an inner arch. 2-light windows to north and south, the western pair with a transome and lowered cills. Fine piscina integral with a double window-seat sedilia; between the seats is an armrest in the form of a crude lion couchant. On the north wall is a projecting aumbry with crocketed canopy. Nave: moulded arched doorways to north and south (the priest's door is similar). 4-bay nave arcades with quatrefoil piers; the chancel arch and tower arch are broad and similar in type. Tower: C14, but the upper level partly rebuilt 1884 with 3-light west window and 2-light belfry openings. On the east face are weatherings for 2 previous nave roofs, and the sanctus bell opening is now above the nave roof. The west doorway is also C14. The late C15 work includes raising or rebuilding of aisle walls for large 3-light windows and of nave walls for new clerestory. Complete reroofing was carried out: the chancel roof is in 7 cants with boarding and moulded ribs, incorporating a large selection of angels, human faces, animals and foliage. The nave roof is in 4 bays with arch-braced tie- beams, arch-braced principals (both having traceried spandrels) and carved pendant bosses. The aisle roofs have principals on carved corbels of clunch. The C15 porch has a pilastered doorway, 2-light side windows, stone seats and a gargoyle. Over the doorway is a sundial. The vestry was added C15; the doorway from chancel has its original plank door. Octagonal C14 font of limestone with simple tracery in panels on the bowl and stem. The screen is mainly late C16 with tracery at the heads, complete up to the rood-beam, but much restored and incorporating earlier work at low level. Octagonal pulpit, c.1500, with sunk traceried panels between buttresses; heavily restored C19. Some good C15 pews: 2 sets of 4 at rear of nave, having buttresses, traceried ends and backs. 2 long stall-fronts, each with 8 fine traceried panels. 2 further poppy-head benches have traceried backs, one having the damaged lettering, "SALAMON SAYET". In the south aisle is a fine mid C16 Purbeck marble alter tomb with buttresses, cresting, traceried front, and indents for brasses now gone. In the chancel is a wall monument to Edmund Heigham and his wife, d.1604 and 1599. Also in the chancel 11 floor slabs, mostly of marble, one possibly C15 having had extensive brasses, the others mainly C17 and C18. In the nave and aisles are 11 floor slabs, mainly C16-C18. On the north chancel wall is a consecration cross. Some good C15/C16 figures and canopy-work in stained glass in the aisle and clerestory windows.

Listing NGR: TL7193264164

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
275607
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/13327/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Wilding. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].