This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE COCK PUBLIC HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE COCK PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1037676

Location

THE COCK PUBLIC HOUSE, BURY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kentford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Jun-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 275609

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 76 NW KENTFORD BURY ROAD

3/49 The Cock P.H. 7.5.54 (Formerly listed as Cock Inn)

II

Public House. Formerly coaching inn; late C15 or early C16 with major alterations of early C19 and 1935. 2 storeys, 3-cell plan. Timber-framed, encased early C19 in red brick (painted C.20). Plaintiled roof with axial and end chimneys of red brick. Mainly C20 small-pane sash windows; 2 C19 windows at 1st floor have horizontal sliding casements. Recessed C20 glazed panelled entrance door. The upper floor was originally jettied along the front wall. The right-hand cell (now the Public Bar) was occupied by twin service rooms. The hall is of 2 equal bays (now the Lounge Bar), with a central binding joist having trailing leaf carving in 3 bands, separated by a roll. At the rear wall, the joist sits on a post with a carved male figure about 50cm high. This has a long robe and appears to support the joist with its upstretched arms. It stands on a carved pilaster. A second figure stood facing it at the front wall until 1935. The bridging and common-joists are moulded with roll, ogee, and hollow-chamfers. The open fireplace, probably later, has a plain cambered lintel. A small wing to rear left, C18 or earlier, with gable chimney; possibly a kitchen wing. The C20 1- and 2-storey wings to right and rear are not of special interest.

Listing NGR: TL7087866758

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 70878 66758

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037676 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2018 at 10:51:32.

End of official listing