This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OLD MUSEUM ROOMS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD MUSEUM ROOMS

List entry Number: 1037718

Location

OLD MUSEUM ROOMS, 13, MUSEUM STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Ipswich

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 275514

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1260 MUSEUM STREET (East Side)

No 13 (Old Museum Rooms) TM 1644 NW 1/124 19.12.51.

II GV

2. The old Museum, opened in 1847 was designed by Christopher Fleury, a local architect. It is a large red brick building with a stucco front in classical style with panelled parapet, a plain band (which now replaces the original cornice) and massive Tuscan orders on octagonal base rising through 2 storeys at the corners. 2 storeys. 3 window range, double-hung sashes with glazing bars. The centre part, of doorway and one window range above, breaks forward slightly. The side windows have moulded and shouldered architraves with balustraded panels beneath the sills. The centre window has a Venetian style surround with a semi-circular domed arch with shell ornamentation and flanking paired Ionic columns with frieze and cornice. The doorway has fluted Doric pilasters, frieze and cornice, and is flanked by C20 shop fronts. The front originally has a projecting Doric columned porch. The north side is in panelled red brick, without windows. In the interior a heavy balustraded staircase leads to a 1st floor hall which is top lit with a gallery (blocked).

Nos 1 to 11 (odd) and No 13 (Old Museum Rooms) form a group with No 10. Nos 14 to 32 (even) and Nos 14 and 16, Arcade Street.



Listing NGR: TM1608544605

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 16085 44605

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037718 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2018 at 03:23:34.

End of official listing