THE CHANTRY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1037783

Date first listed: 04-Aug-1972

Statutory Address: THE CHANTRY

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CHANTRY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037783 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 17:28:51.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CHANTRY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Ipswich (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TM 13830 44114

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1260 The Chantry

TM 14 SW 11/1

II

2. A large mansion standing in a fine park of about 124 acres, presented to the town in 1927. At one time the home of Sir Fitzroy Edward Kelly, Baron of the Exchequer 1866-80. It was built in the C18 but was considerably altered and extended in the C19. (1853-54). The north front has the original C18 facade of 3 storeys and 5 window range, with a balustraded parapet, modillioned cornice and a pediment above the centre part of 3 window range which breaks forward slightly. A central C19 2 storeyed porte-chochere projects on front, with coupled Tuscan columns united by bands of vermiculated rustication on the ground storey, coupled Ionic columns framing "Palladian" arches on the first storey and a balustraded parapet with urns. At the cast and west ends 2 storeyed C19 wings break forward slightly, each of one window range with paired corner pilasters and balustraded parapets. The south front is of 3 storeys and 9 window range with a heavy bracketted cornice, a balustraded parapet and a large central 2 storey bow of 3 windows framed by pairs of Ionic half columns on the first storey and rusticated pilasters on the ground storey. A further 2 storeyed wing of 4 window range extends to the west and there is a late C18 or early C19 stable block and courtyard at the west end. The east front has 2 2-storeyed bays of 3 windows and a Tuscan collonade on the ground storey. All the windows are double-hung sashes with glazing bars, the upper storey windows have stucco shouldered architraves. The ground storey is rusticated. Roofs slate.











Listing NGR: TM1383044114

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 275382

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 39 Suffolk,

End of official listing