CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1037860
Date first listed:
03-Jan-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Nov-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAWRENCE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037860.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:56:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAWRENCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Staffordshire Moorlands (District Authority)
Parish:
Waterhouses
National Grid Reference:
SK 07840 49458

Details

SK 04 NE WATERHOUSES C.P. CAULDON

4/172 3/1/67 Church of St. Mary and St. Lawrence (formerly listed as Church of St Mary Cauldon) GV II

Chapel-of-ease. 1781-4 the chancel incorporating some earlier, probably C14, material. Ashlar and coursed and squared rubble with rusticated ashlar quoins of unequal length; plain tile and slate roofs with coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave with north aisle and south porch, single-bay chancel, north-west vestry in the angle between the aisle and west tower. West tower: 2 stages with chamfered parapet band and low parapet with corner pinnacles; circular window to ground floor south with moulded surround, single-light belfry openings with semi-circular heads. Nave: semi-circular arch windows with moulded surrounds and raised reeded keystones, cyma recta moulded eaves cornice and low parapet. North aisle has plain windows with semi- circular arches. Gabled south porch dated 1885 with semi-circular outer arch and dripstone springing from chamfered imposts, leading to a doorway with shouldered head. Chancel: semi-circular arch windows with chamfered surrounds, pointed south doorway. Vestry: west door and north window both with semi-circular arch. Interior: north arcade of semi-circular arches springing from square section piers with cyma recta moulded capitals, blind rectangular panels above the arches; wide semi-circular chancel arch springing from moulded imposts; chamfered west doorway with semi-circular arch; nave roof has tie beams supported on timber cantilevers, short stubby king-posts, one pair of purlins and a ridge piece; the chancel roof has raking struts extending from tie beams to principals, shaped collars, one pair of purlins and a ridge piece. Fittings: coat of arms of George IV dated 1829; very plain C19 octagonal stone font with moulded base; early C19 wooden pulpit with trefoil headed openwork panels; wall panelling to chancel; early C19 altar rail with cinquefoil headed arcading. Monuments: several wall plaques, each surmounted by an urn: Nave south wall: Sarah Cropper died 1814, marble, inscription panel with curtains drawn to each side. Chancel, north wall: Sampson Wheildon, died 1807. Chancel south wall: William Marshall, died 1800; Jane Wilmott, died 1843. Stained glass: east window of 1936, crucifixion scene. B.O.E. p. 94.

Listing NGR: SK0784049458

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
275170
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 94

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13518/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Taberner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].