GROUP OF 8 CHEST TOMBS IN AREA DEFINED BY PATHS IN NORTH WEST CORNER OF CHURCHYARD OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1038003
Date first listed:
08-Aug-1986
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 8 CHEST TOMBS IN AREA DEFINED BY PATHS IN NORTH WEST CORNER OF CHURCHYARD OF ST PETER, CAVERSWALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 8 CHEST TOMBS IN AREA DEFINED BY PATHS IN NORTH WEST CORNER OF CHURCHYARD OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038003.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 02:39:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 8 CHEST TOMBS IN AREA DEFINED BY PATHS IN NORTH WEST CORNER OF CHURCHYARD OF ST PETER, CAVERSWALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Staffordshire Moorlands (District Authority)
Parish:
Caverswall
National Grid Reference:
SJ 95145 42804

Details

SJ 95 42 CAVERSWALL C.P. CAVERSWALL ROAD (West side)

12/10 Group of 8 chest tombs in area defined by paths in north-west corner of churchyard of St. Peter

- II

8 chest tombs. Stone. 4 to north-west corner of similar style: Josiah Saunders d. 1847, Rev. Josiah Saunders d. 1791, William Hill d. 1776 and George Swift d. 1811, all of same size with inset banded angle pilasters, alternating fleuron and fluted bands to frieze and moulded top. Closer to the church tower lie Mary Shaw d. 1787 and the Hulme Memorial (from 1717 but more close to the 1787 date referring to Elizabeth Hulme). The former has moulded pilasters at angles, the latter with reeded pilasters to the angles with unusual Neoclassical surbase crest and Thomas Bentley d. 1822 with reeded pilasters to centre and angles.

Listing NGR: SJ9514542804

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
274812
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/09452/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ken Bourne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].