CHURCH OF ST WERBURGH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1038026
Date first listed:
03-Jan-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WERBURGH, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WERBURGH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038026.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:21:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WERBURGH, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Staffordshire Moorlands (District Authority)
Parish:
Kingsley
National Grid Reference:
SK 01337 46914

Details

KINGSLEY C.P. CHURCH STREET SK 04 NW (west side) 10/272 Church of St Werburgh 3.1.67

GV II

Parish church. C13 base to C14 tower, nave by Trubshaw 1820 and chancel by Lynham 1886. Coursed dressed and squared stone of ashlar quality, rough-faced to chancel; slate nave roof and tiled to chancel, with verge parapets. Tower, nave (with south porch), and chancel. Tower: of 4 stages, large diagonal buttresses to west sides of 5 stages, crenellated parapet on raised string bearing gargoyles at centres; bell chamber openings, labelled pointed of 2 lights with trefoils to heads, small lancets to lower stages and flat-headed 2-light mullioned west window over Tudor-arch door. Nave: wide plan, projecting beyond tower to north; of 4 bays divided by 2-stage buttresses; cavetto eaves; Y-tracery pointed windows; porch south has flat roof behind parapet, angle buttresses and pointed arch entry; north door has brattished cornice set between buttresses. Chancel: of 3 bays, larger to east, divided by gabletted 2-stage buttresses; Y-tracery windows to west and centre bays on south; 5-light pointed east window with low- relief carved panel below; vestry set against north side.

Listing NGR: SK0133746914

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
274764
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/08433/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Brayford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].