CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1038247
Date first listed:
18-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038247 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 09:59:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Telford and Wrekin (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lilleshall and Donnington
National Grid Reference:
SJ 72867 15285

Details

SJ 71NW 24/403,

LILLESHALL, CHURCH ROAD

Church of St Michael and All Angels

18.06.59

GV

I

Sandstone ashlar church with tiled roof. Late Norman nave, the south doorway has two orders of shafts with shaft rings, arches with zigzags and keeled roll moulding. Another Norman south doorway probably re-set, with zigzag moulding in 2-centred arch, and shaft capitals with waterleaf. C19 traceried 3-light south nave windows. Late C19 gabled south porch, timber-framed and ashlar. Early English Chancel was lengthened in early C14 with restored 5-light east window with reticulated tracery. Lancet and round-arched doorway on south wall of chancel. Straight-headed north chancel window with three ogee-arched lights. Early C14 long north aisle with Decorated 3-light east and 2-light west windows. Decorated C19 north windows and three buttresses with set-offs. Short perpendicular west tower with angle buttresses, moulded battlements, crocketed pinnacles and quatrefoil frieze. Two-light bell-openings, the mullion and tracery have been taken out except on the east side. Three-light Perpendicular vest window in tower.

INTERIOR: Five-bay north arcade with chamfered pointed arches, short octagonal piers with octagonal capitals and bases. Nave and chancel roof have arched braces, collars and tie-beams with brackets underneath, and small cusped wind-braces. Two-centred arch from chancel to north aisle. Norman cylindrical font has dreaded sides with simple decoration and C19 base. Good monument in chancel to Richard Leveson 1661 and his wife 1674 - 2 reclining figures with flanking columns and pediment and putto outside. Royal Arms to Charles II. Stained glass in chancel east window by Evans. The gravestones have been moved and most have been set against the churchyard boundary wall where there are a few C18 but mostly C19 headstones.

Listing NGR: SJ7286615287

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
362263
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13391/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Ravenscroft. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].