This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BETLEY OLD HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BETLEY OLD HALL

List entry Number: 1038588

Location

BETLEY OLD HALL, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Newcastle-under-Lyme

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Betley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Dec-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 273324

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BETLEY C.P. MAIN STREET (west side) SJ 74 NE Betley Old Hall 8/40

2.12.52 GV II*

Farmhouse. Mid-C15, extended and internally remodelled in the late C16/early C17, and extended again in the C19. Timber framed with plastered infill panels; plain tile roof; brick ridge stack to the hall range and lateral external stack to the cross-wing. Originally a hall-house com- prising a 4-bay range aligned north-east/south-west with a 2-bay single- storey hall to the north-east and a combined service and solar block to the south-west containing a cross-passage. A cross-wing was added to the north-east end in the late C16/early C17 to form a T-shaped plan. Further C19 extensions to the north-east. North-west elevation. 2 storeys with 2 tiers of closely spaced studs. Gabled cross-wing to the left with coved eaves and decorative framing of diagonally placed struts. In front of the gable is a low 019 extension and chimney stack. The hall range has 2 ground storey casements and a roughly central door. Blocked mullion window to first floor right. Right hand gable-end return is plastered and painted to imitate timber framing. South-east elevation. Hall range to the left: scattered fenestration, C20 door to the right, blocked door with cambered arch to centre, cross-wing to the right with coved overhanging gable: collar and tie beam roof truss with V-struts above the collar and central vertical strut below, the latter flanked by diagonal bracing. Both sides of the wing have 3 tiers of closely spaced studs and the right hand side has a massive brick stack with crow stepped parapet. Interior. The north-west door gives access to a lobby formed by the insertion of a chimney stack into the former cross- passage. To the right a door leads into the former services and another to the left opens to the hall. Directly in front of the door is a stair- case which ascends to the solar occupying the first floor over the services and cross-passage. The hall is now divided by a first floor, probably inserted at the same time as the chimney stack. It has 2 bays of unequal length divided by an open arch braced truss, the braces springing from chamfered wall shafts with moulded capitals. The roof has side purlins and curved wind braces. At the upper end of the hall are a series of peg holes in the wall which may have accommodated the fittings for a bench, and also a door with a four-centred head which communicates with the cross-wing. The solar is also divided into 2 bays by an arch braced truss the braces of which spring from wall posts with chamfered fillets. In the cross-wing is a parlour (The Oak Room) with early C17 wall panelling incorporating venches, cupboards and doors and bearing an inscription: "RE FE / DA. GLORY / AM. DEO. / 1621 / AUSTICIA. SINE. PRUDENTIA. PLURIMUM. POTERIT. SINE. JUSTICIA. NIAIL. VALEBIT. PRUDENTIA." Early C17 fireplace with 4-centred arch, moulded surround and strapwork frieze. One of the bricks is inscribed "RW 1626". The fireplace is flanked by fluted columns which aparently support the ends of a pair of chamfered ceiling beams with pyramid stops. In the centre bay of the wing is a C17 newel staircase with octagonal section newel and splat balusters around the top of the stair well.

Listing NGR: SJ7520249066

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 75202 49066

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038588 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 08:36:53.

End of official listing