CHURCH OF ST. CATHERINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1038622
Date first listed:
18-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. CATHERINE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. CATHERINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038622 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 22:54:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. CATHERINE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Telford and Wrekin (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Eyton upon the Weald Moors
National Grid Reference:
SJ 65097 14835

Details

EYTON-UPON-THE-WEALD-MOORS Church of St Catherine 1. 5362

SJ 61 SE 28/224 18.6.59

II* GV

2. Dated 1743. Small Georgian red brick church with red sandstone dressings and new tile roof. Nave with 3 round arched north and south windows with keyblocks impost and continuous cill ban, and a moulded stone eaves cornice with continues around the polygonal apse of the cast end and the tower at the west end. The nave, apse and tower have long and short stone quoins. The apse was added in 1850 in same style with a round arched east window. The tower is in 3 stages with stringcourses and round arched window and bell-openings. Restored stone doorway at base of tower on west side with panelled pilasters and keyblocks with circular window and date- stone above. The nave windows have also been restored. Interior: Gallery at west end has panelled front with pilasters. Fielded panelling in the apse with fluted pilasters and entablature. Panelled dado in nave and panelled box-pews. Simple benches in the gallery. Contemporary pulpit. Communion rail has moulded balusters. C15-16 fragments of stained glass in north window. East window of 1855-60.

Listing NGR: SJ6509714835

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
362109
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14251/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Liston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].