TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1038703

Date first listed: 22-Jun-1979

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, KING EDWARD PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038703 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 21:34:03.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, KING EDWARD PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: East Staffordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Shobnall

National Grid Reference: SK 24001 23438

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KING EDWARD PLACE 1. 5369 Town Hall SK 2323 SE 5/95 SK 22 SW 6/95

II GV

2. 1878 and later. Gothic style. Red brick with stone dressings. The original portion built by Reginald Churchill for Michael Thomas Bass. 2 storeys with gables. Each bay has a 3-light window in foil-headed stone surround with mullions and transom, the lights with foil heads and quatrefoil panels below; elaborate decoration with bands of blind quatrefoils at 1st storey and to parapet; coped gabled and stone piers with pnnacles supporting figures of lions bearing standards. Later portion, on left-hand side, is of 1894 and in similar style, with clock tower and doorway below in stone surround and with wrought iron porte-cochere. 2-storeyed wing to left is of 3 bays, each with 3-light stone mullioned window, the centre bay projecting and with gable and angled buttresses. Elaborate single-storeyed wing on left-hand side containing Concert Hall has various projecting gabled bays with pointed arched windows and an arched doorway to right. Tiled roofs.

Listing NGR: SK2400123438

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 273005

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing