CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1038795
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038795.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 22:38:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Lichfield (District Authority)
Parish:
Harlaston
National Grid Reference:
SK 21502 10957

Details

SK 21 SW HARLASTON C.P. MAIN ROAD (North-west side)

2/62 Church of St. Matthew 27.2.63 GV II*

Parish church. Mainly 1882-3 by Ewan Christian but retains some early C13 work. Red brick and some C13 coursed and squared sandstone blocks; plain tile roof with crested ridge tiles. West tower, 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel and north-east vestry. West tower: early C13 with C19 restoration; one stage with hipped roof surmounted by a timber framed bell turret with pyramidal roof; C13 lancet windows to north and south, C19 east window in a C15 style, 3 cinquefoil arched lights with pierced spandrels beneath a square head. Nave: Decorated style windows of 2 trefoil arched lights with quatrefoil over, beneath a segmental pointed arch, the north-west window has 3 cinquefoil arched lights; pointed south doorway with double ogee moulded surround and hood mould, gabled timber-framed porch with shaped barge boards and traceried open panels. Chancel: stone plinth probably comprised of re-used C13 stonework; north and south windows similar to those of the nave, pointed east window of 3 lights and reticu- lated tracery, hood mould terminating in heads. Vestry: Caernarvon arch door to the north and lateral stack to the west of it; east window similar to those of nave and chancel, single-light west window with trefoil arched light under a segmental pointed head. Interior: C13 tower arch, pointed and double chamfered; 2 massive medieval timber framed trusses supporting the west turret, each has a pair of quasi-aisle posts, tie beam and arch braces, the inner face of each post has a chamfered fillet; segmental arch on the north side of the chancel, pointed vestry door immediately east of it. Fittings: C19 circular stone font, the pedestal has 4 nook shafts with moulded bases and capitals. Monuments: tablet to Anne Lady Egerton, died 1726, open base pediment, foliated scrolls to the sides and cherub's head to the bottom; Webb family tablet, circa 1840, egg and dart frieze; table to William Darlaston Webb, died 1863, the base has a frieze with inlaced pattern, surmounted by a heraldic frieze flanked by scrolls. Stained glass: good east window of 1894 depicting the ascension. Photograph at the west end of the nave taken prior to the restoration of 1883. B.o.E. p. 142.

Listing NGR: SK2150210957

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
272815
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 142

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01040/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Dave Jones. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].