CHURCH OF ST CHAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1038801

Date first listed: 29-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CHAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CHAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038801 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 09:27:59.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CHAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield (District Authority)

Parish: Wigginton and Hopwas

National Grid Reference: SK 17568 05093

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 10 NE WIGGINTON C.P. HOPWAS

4/79 Church of St. Chad

GV II

Chapel-of-ease. 1881. By John Douglas. Red brick, timber framed in the upper parts; plain tile roofs, shingled spirelet. 5-bay nave, single-bay chancel, the 2 parts are linked by a central tower with south vestry and north annexe accommodating the organ. Nave: north and south sides have timber window frames of 3 and 4 cusped ogee headed lights, and timber framing of closely spaced studs. 2 pointed west windows of late C14 Perpendicular type with linked returned hood moulds; 2-light window above with square head and straight hood mould. Pointed south door with ashlar surround and moulded arch; gabled south porch with pointed opening and king-post roof. Tower: 2 stages, single- storey vestry and organ annexe with lean-to roofs and rectangular loops, door to west end of vestry; the upper stage has rectangular panel framing and tension braces; gabled stair turret on south side. Chancel: 5- light east window with Perpendicular tracery and a square head; 2-light windows to north and south also with Perpendicular tracery. Exposed collar and tie beam roof truss with king strut and diagonal tracing. Interior: the tower has brick east and west arches with quarter roll and fillet mouldings. The nave has arch braced collar roof trusses complete with wall posts from which the braces spring, and king posts above the collar. The tower is ceiled by a network of beams and a plank floor; segmental pointed arch to the north giving access to the organ, and a pointed vestry door to the south; 8-bay blind arcade above door level to the south. North and south chancel windows have segmental pointed rere-arches. Fittings: octagonal stone font. Full set of contemporary pews. Good wooden pulpit with stone base and steps, and open cusped arches. Other contemporary woodwork includes a lectern, benches with poppyheads, and a good wooden altar rail with traceried panels. Stained glass: good east window or 1890 depicting scenes from the life of Christ. B.o.E. p. 151.

Listing NGR: SK1756805093

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 272832

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 151

End of official listing