LITTLE ASTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1038855

Date first listed: 29-Oct-1975

Statutory Address: LITTLE ASTON HALL, ALDRIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LITTLE ASTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038855 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 15:15:23.

Location

Statutory Address: LITTLE ASTON HALL, ALDRIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield (District Authority)

Parish: Shenstone

National Grid Reference: SK 08743 00424

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 00 SE SHENSTONE C.P. ALDRIDGE ROAD (south side) Little Aston

8/47 Little Aston Hall 29.10.75 - II

Country house. Early C18, rebuilt c.1790 by James Wyatt and 1857-9 by Edward Payne for Colonel Swynfen Parker Jervis. Sandstone ashlar rusticated and vermiculated to ground floor and quoins; flat roof on cornice invisible behind balustraded parapets; massive corniced ashlar side stacks. Large plan of central block and flanking pavilions in an Italianate style. Entrance front: centre block of 3 storeys and 2,3,2 bays; top floor has glazing bar sashes in moulded surrounds with segmental heads and balustraded aprons; first floor has segmental pediment heads on consoles to outer pairs of bays and semicircular shell heads to centre trio, all with deep mullioned and transomed casements and balustered aprons; ground floor again with mullioned and transomed windows with keystone heads. Central single-storey, balustraded porch (almost a porte cochere) with triglyph frieze and 6 columns to front, paired at extremities; central entrance with part-glazed door. Flanking pavilions of two storeys (almost to height of three) and three bays; round arch plate glass sashes to first floor with fretted aprons; ground floor mullioned and transomed windows with keyed heads. Plain side elevations and garden elevation of very similar appearance to entrance side but without the portico. Interior: the building is now divided into individual units and much of the elaborate decorative scheme reset or removed. The entrance hall remains intact with linenfold panelling up to ceiling level and strapwork plaster ceiling. The staircase has been replaced. S. Shaw, History of Staffordshire, ii, 1801, p.52 with engraving; H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of English Architects, London, 1978, p.949; B.O.E., p.196 , pl.89.

Listing NGR: SK0874300424

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 272660

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M , A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840, (1954), 949
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)
Shaw, S, History of Staffordshire, (1801), 52

End of official listing