Church of St Giles


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St Giles, Church Street


Ordnance survey map of Church of St Giles
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038868.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:34:47.


Statutory Address:
Church of St Giles, Church Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Lichfield (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 15809 08322


SK 10 NE 7/104

WHITTINGTON C.P. CHURCH STREET (South side) Church of St. Giles


Parish church. Mostly 1761 retaining some earlier, probably C14 material, with additions of 1881 by Ewan Christian. Red brick and ashlar; slate roof with coped verges. West tower with diagonal buttresses; vestry projection to the south and stair projection to the north, four-bay nave, two-bay chancel.

West tower: C14 and later two stages with crenellated parapet and recessed stone spire, the upper stage is marked by a string course and is a later addition to the tower; west doorway with segmental head, seemingly a C19 or C20 insertion encroaching on the base of a pointed window with Y-tracery, restored; pointed belfry openings with Y-tracery. C18 north stair projection has a large pointed north window with Y-tracery, also on the north wall a tablet to Robert Newman, died 1774, with segmental pediment, the inscription is recut. C20 south projection has a four-centred arch south window with Y-tracery.

Nave: 1761; coved eaves band and buttresses to the east end, tall pointed windows with Y-tracery; two wall tablets, one above the other to Nigel Neville, died 1817 and to Anne and John Newville, died 1801 and 1811; surmounted by an urn.

Chancel: 1881; south side has a central pointed door, flanked by two pointed windows, the western window has two trefoil-headed lights with a single reticulation above, the eastern one has one trefoil-headed light with a trefoil over, one north window similar to the south-eastern one, pointed east window of three trefoil headed lights and reticulated tracery.

Interior: western gallery, now housing the organ, panelled wood, pointed and double chamfered chancel arch, the inner order springs from corbelled engaged columns with moulded capitals; king-post roof over the nave, curved wind braces, two pairs of purlins and ridge piece.

Fittings: font or circa 1878 with colonettes to each corner of the pedestal., octagonal basin with quatrefoil panels; good oak pulpit of 1678 on a barley-sugar twist column, octagonal with carved and panelled sides and canopy with egg and dart moulding and carved cherubs; C17 oak chair in the chancel; wainscotting to nave and chancel.

Monuments. Chancel: wall plaque to Matthias and Sarah Astley, died 1729 and 1743, open pediment surmounted by an urn. Nave, south wall: bracketed aedicule to Zacharius Babington, died 1688, Corinthian columns, diminutive semi-circular pediment carved with foliage and containing a coat of arms; aedicule to Theophilas and Mary Levette, died 1746 and 1734, and two children, Theophilus, died 1726 and Elizabeth, died 1754, fluted brackets, plain pilasters, open semi circular pediment surmounted by a heraldic shield and flanked by urns spouting flame; bracketed plaque to Thomas Levett, died 1843, surmounted by an open book; plaque to John Levett, died 1799, Richard Levett, died 1802, Thomas Levett, died 1820, Catherine Levett, died 1810, Ann Levett, died 1841, surmounted by an obelisk and by an urn spouting flame; bracketed plaque to Ann Levett, died 1765, pediment surmounted by obelisk and urn. Nave north wall: bracketed plaque to Arthur Astley, died 1742, flanked by scrolls, bracketed, broken pediment surmounted by an urn; plaque to Richard and Elizabeth White, died 1724, and Sarah White died 1747; tablet to Thomas Brudenell, died 1670. Stained glass fragments of C15 glass in north and south chancel windows; good east window depicting the crucifixion, mediocre window in the nave.

Listing NGR: SK1580908322


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04649/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Anthea Hatfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].