ST ANDREW'S ARTS CENTRE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1039109

Date first listed: 03-Jul-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Dec-1982

Statutory Address: ST ANDREW'S ARTS CENTRE, ROYAL PIER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST ANDREW'S ARTS CENTRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1039109 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 13:54:35.

Location

Statutory Address: ST ANDREW'S ARTS CENTRE, ROYAL PIER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Gravesham (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 64911 74411

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for ROYAL PIER ROAD 1/35 (north side) St Andrew's Waterside Chapel

GV The address shall be amended to read ROYAL PIER ROAD (north side)

St Andrew's Arts Centre

GV The grade shall be amended to read II

Fart 2 of the entry should be amended to read:

1870-71; GE Street architect. Built originally as a mission chapel for seamen and known as St Andrew's Waterside Chapel. Rectangular plan. Gothic style. Built of ragstone with Bath stone dressings. Slate roof. Former carthex at west with lean-to roof behind a parapet; central doorway with segmental Gothic arch; a flat-arched three-light window to each side of door. Under the west gable are five stepped lancets; a large stone bellcote rises from the apex of the gable. Three lancet windows in side elevation. At East end there is a three-light plate traceried window. Inside vaulted roof lined with pine boarding with moulded ribs; coved cornice; stained glass windows. The former mission chapel hass been converted to an Arts Centre.

See St Andrew's Waterside Church, a Souvenir History; See E C Gunkel, St Andrew's Gravesend, Kent County Library Local History Pamphlet No 2.

-----------------------------------------------------

1. 5277 ROYAL PIER ROAD (North Side)

St Andrew's Waterside Chapel TQ 6474 SE 1/35

B GV

2. 1870-71. G E Street architect. Built originally as a mission chapel for seamen. Rectangular plan. Gothic style. Built of ragstone with bath dressings. Slate roof. Marthex at (ritual) west with a lean-to roof behind a parapet. Central doorway with segmental Gothic arch. 3-light mullion windows flank the door. Under the west gable are 5 stepped lancets. A large stone bellcote rises from the West gable. It is gabled and has buttressed sides and 3 cusped bell openings. 3 lancet windows at side. At (ritual) East end there is a 3-light plate tracery window.

St Andrew's Waterside Chapel and No 19 form a group.



Listing NGR: TQ6491174411

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 356417

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
St Andrew's Waterside Church a Souvenir History
Cunkel, E C, 'Kent County Library Local History Pamphlet' in St Andrews Gravesend, , Vol. 2, ()

End of official listing