Church of St Nicholas


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St Nicholas, Cley Road, Blakeney


Ordnance survey map of Church of St Nicholas
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1039495.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 20:01:46.


Statutory Address:
Church of St Nicholas, Cley Road, Blakeney

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 03309 43598


TG 04 SW 1/1

BLAKENEY CLEY ROAD (south side) Church of St Nicholas



C15 with C13 chancel. Large church built of flint (Quaternary) with stone (Lincolnshire Limestone and Bath Stone) dressings and lead-clad roofs, refaced with knapped flint in 1880s. Comprising: C15 nave with clerestory and C15 north and south aisles, all with Perpendicular traceried windows. Large C15 west tower with diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet and pinnacles, three-light Perpendicular traceried belfry and large four-light Perpendicular west window and octagonal stair turret on south side. North porch of 1896. C13 chancel with rendered walls, with seven-light stepped east window and Perpendicular north and south windows.

Tower attached to north-east corner of chancel with pinnacles, cusped bell-openings and diagonal buttresses; said to have been originally a stair turret to chamber over chancel and to have been extended above chancel roof as an architectural feature; later used as a beacon.

Interior: six-bay arcades and C15 hammerbeam roof to nave. Tall tower arch. C13 two-bay vaulted chancel. Only base of screen is C15, remainder is circa 1913. Stalls with misericords restored 1913. Some C15 bench ends with poppy-heads. Good Perpendicular octagonal font.

Listing NGR: TG0330943598


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 17 February 2020 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00501/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John D. Cucksey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].