CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1039557

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, LOWER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1039557 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 14:27:13.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, LOWER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Curry Mallet

National Grid Reference: ST 33390 20908

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST32SW CURRY MALLET CP LOWER STREET (South side)

3/143 Church of St James

17.4.59

- I

Anglican parish church. C13, Mainly C15, C19 restoration. Coursed and squared lias with Ham stone dressings, slate and lead-sheeting roofs, coped verges, cruciform finials. Nave, chancel, south aisle, north chapel, north porch, west tower. Predominantly Perpendicular. Three-stage embattled tower, gargoyles, polygonal stair-turret to the south-east, embattled capping, sat-back buttresses terminating as uncapped shafts on the third stage, 2-light traceried bell- chamber windows with stone grilles, single-light window to east on ringing- chamber stage; handsome 4-light transomed east window, below door opening in a pointed arch moulded surround, paired ribbed and studded doors. North aisle of 3 bays, buttresses, 3-light windows, small doorway with carved heads as label stops, similar carved heads to window labels, embattled parapet. Small lofty 2 bay north chapel, buttresses, 3 and 4-light windows. Lean-to porch to west of this chapel, simple moulded outer door opening, elaborate moulding to the inner-doorway, label, ribbed and studded door with scrolly iron strap hinges, above niche with a later figure; secondary door opening with a cambered head leads into the chapel, ribbed and studded door; inside of porch on a flagstone floor, stone bench to the west wall, Chancel on plinth with wide offset, a square-headed 3-light window to the north and the south, pointed-arch west window, re-traceried C19, label with grotesque heads as stops, possibly C13, above datestone 1786, C13 priest's door to south with a continuous moulding, ribbed and studded door. Interior plastered on lias flagstones. Chancel under a plastered wagon roof, plain timber wallplate; nave under similar roof, except the area over the former rood ribbed and panelled with carved bosses, colouring; north aisle with plastered lean-to roof, moulded ribs with large carved bosses, unceiled wagon roof to south chapel. Panelled tower, chancel, and south chapel arches. Three bay arcade to north aisle, thick piers of 4-hollows section. Piscinae to north aisle and nave. North aisle with medieval stone altar, this aisle also with small recumbant C15 effigy in a niche. Good C15 octagonal font with a blank shield to each face, In south, chapel a large bracket in the form of an angel, probably resited, Upper and lower entrances to the rood. Much good Jacobean woodwork including pews, alms box; tower-screen, chapel screen, reader (dated 1633), chancel panellinq, credence table and altar table. Cl9 altar rails and pulpit. Three good C17 wall monuments with carved figures and colouring, particularly that to Payne family in south chapel. Further C18, C19, and C20 monuments. Three late C19 stained glass windows. Wheeled bier dated 1903.

Listing NGR: ST3339020909

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 431242

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing