Church of St James the Less and attached Almshouses

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1039875
Date first listed:
02-Nov-1955
Statutory Address:
1-6, ST JAMES'S SQUARE, NEW MILLS
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE LESS, SPRING BANK ROAD, NEW MILLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St James the Less and attached Almshouses
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1039875 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 15:03:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
1-6, ST JAMES'S SQUARE, NEW MILLS
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE LESS, SPRING BANK ROAD, NEW MILLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
High Peak (District Authority)
Parish:
New Mills
National Grid Reference:
SK 00059 85895

Details

SK0085 1/2 5172

NEW MILLS, SPRING BANK ROAD (West Side), Church of St James the Less and attached Almshouses Nos 1 to 6 (consec) St James's Square

2.11.55.

II

Former church and attached almshouses form a composition of 1880 by W Swindon Barber on the north and west sides of a court. Almshouses on the west and north link with the church on the north-east corner, next to the roadway. Stone and green slates. The almshouses are gabled, with mullion and transom windows and doorway openings in the form of a pointed arch, in pairs. The church has lancets at the side and in the hexagonal apse; the western gable with bell cote contains coupled lights with tracery. Windows with dripmoulds with human mask terminals. Porch to road. The interior is of the period and has stained glass.

Listing NGR: SK0005985895

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
81855
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/13438/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adrian Shaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].